Sunday 6 January 2013

Infinitive Complex Object


Complex Object 

Subject + Predicate + Complex Object (Noun/Pronoun + Infinitive)

The combination of a noun in the common case or a pronoun in the objective case and an infinitive used after the predicate forms a complex object. The relation between the noun (pronoun) and the infinitive is that of subject and predicate.

Key examples:
  • I saw the boy raise his hand. 
  • I heard him call my name. 
  • I want you to know that it doesn't matter. 



The infinitive may be used as a part of a complex object after the following verbs:

1. to hear, to see, to watch, to feel, to let, to make. After these verbs the infinitive has no particle 'to'.

Patterns. Read and memorize!
  1. I heard him describe his new bedroom suite. 
  2. He makes his children go to bed early. 
  3. I saw him whitewash the fence.

2. to want, to expect, to know, to suppose, to consider, to believe. After these verbs the particle 'to' is used before the infinitive.

Patterns. Read and memorize!
  1. He wanted me to help him choose a new computer. 
  2. I consider Bill to be Jack of all trades. 
  3. I expected him to paint the walls green.